Sunday, July 16, 2017

The Day After ...

So what's the best thing to do after a great party? Take a day off!!  And that's pretty much what today was about. Many of last nights party-goers were meeting for brunch at the Opryland Hotel (that's where the soon-to-be in-laws were staying). I had tweaked my back in some way, so I opted out - and opted for sitting in a recliner.

KB had cleaned up most of her party things last night and loaded them into her car, so there wasn't really much left to do. As if I would have done anything anyhow. There were still chairs to be moved back and tables to be taken down, but they weren't bothering anyone, so I just left them.

The fun activity was when MaeMae and Lucy returned from the brunch. Tilly was still asleep at brunch time, so she stayed with me. Lynnette and Lindley came over (Everley spent the night). So, while the little girls played, the big girls started their "project."

Lucy had brought her minivan, so that gave me a lot of room to send things back with her (whether she wanted them or not). The first was the Barbie Power Wheels Car. Lindley and Everley had outgrown it, and I wasn't going to wait for Danger Baby to learn to drive it lest she end up on I65. So, that was the first thing we loaded in the van. Yes, it had been kept outside so it wasn't in pristine condition, but Lucy allowed us to put it in her van. Perhaps the Goodwill in Virginia will take it ...

Then it was time for the "big" project. The last time Marilyn was here, she saw a desk upstairs that she asked if I wanted. I told her she could have it. Now, it's not a large desk - but it's not exactly tiny, either. Anyhow, she wanted it and I was certain we could put it in the van beside the Barbie car.

Did I mention the desk was upstairs? And did I mention that Lucy was pregnant? Anyhow, we went upstairs, and the first thing we did was take off the legs. Which made it smaller. And then Marilyn and I proceeded to get it down the stairs. Did I mention I still had a tweak in my back (although at the end of this project it was gone). Anyhow, we decided that if we put the desk on a towel, we could kinda "roll" it down the steps, with us holding on to it. And so we started on the plan. Which would have been a bit easier if Lynnette and Lucy hadn't been laughing at us so hard.

The desk in question is the one pictured to the left. I wanted to make sure you understand the gravity of the situation. No, the desk is not valuable except that it was in the house when Molly got her house, and we liked it. Of course that was 10 years ago, and now it's a red color. And probably had marker markings all over it from small children using it. No matter - Marilyn said she wanted it, and I was happy to pass it along. She seems to think she will refinish it. It really is a good desk. And yes, it would have been smart had we asked some of the men in attendance at the party last night to tote it down the stairs. But I guess that's what happens when you have a good party. Whatevs ...

So, imagine this: two "healthy" old ladies, one in front and one in back, holding on to the top of a desk (which was on a towel) and hanging on to the railing of a very steep stairway, attempting to get down said stairway without breaking a hip. Since I was in back, and have a tendency to fall down stairs in a normal situation, I could only take one step at a time. Marilyn was in front, basically holding the desk from crashing down in front of her. Meanwhile, Lucy and Lynnette were behind us, dying laughing and holding on to the desk legs.

Nevertheless, we got it down without harm to grandmas or desk, and then loaded it out to the minivan along with the legs and the chair. And then we even had enough space to go to Maribeth's house and load up the baby things she had for Lucy. Sure am glad I'm not doing the unloading ...

Anyhow, that was our fun for today. Now to go find the bottle of Tylenol ...
*************************************************************************************
Blessings today include: fun with the little girls; getting the desk down the stairs and it and the car loaded into the van; Steve's safe trip home

No comments: