Wednesday, April 5, 2017

At The End Of The Day ...

When I was little, my mother used to watch her soap opera every day at noon. Hers was "As The World Turns." These days, I do pretty much the same thing, although mine is "As Sean Spicer Speaks." In other words, around noon every day, I turn on CNN to watch Sean Spicer's news conference. And in case you don't know who Sean Spicer is, he's the the White House Press Secretary. Or one of Melissa McCarthy's funniest bits ...

Anyhow, there are several reasons I watch, none of which are in admiration of him. I watch to see what he's going to say and do. I watch to see what he's going to spin and how. I watch to see how quickly he's going to go off the rails. Sometimes I go off the rails with him. However, there is one thing that lately is driving me absolutely cray-cray. It's how often he says, "at the end of the day."

I guess this is a current phrase, as I seem to be hearing other people saying it. And I don't know why all of a sudden I hear it all the time, or why it irritates me so much. The good thing is that apparently I'm not alone.  For instance, here's the Urban Dictionary definition:
Rubbish phrase used by many annoying people. An irritating verbal crutch, indicating closure or synopsis, for morons who are incapable of finishing a sentence without incorporating at least one tired cliche.
And then in Googling this phrase, I came across this - that this is the name of a song in "Les Miserables." And so I listened to it. And after listening to the words, it brought all of Sean Spicer's words to new meaning. And not in a good way.

So I thought about what I would like to say about "at the end of the day." And here's what I would wish and pray for. At the end of the day, I would hope that ...

  • we could all speak kindly and with love to others
  • we could look for the things that would bring us together
  • we could give up that which is unnecessary for us to gain that which is necessary for others
  • we could stop hating and start loving
  • we could all realize that the only way to live in peace is to work together
And then maybe, at the end of every day, we could have peace in our hearts and in our world.
****************************************************************************************
Today's blessings include: nice day to open the windows and let the spring air in; cleaning and organizing my closet

No comments: