Wednesday, November 4, 2015

The Christmas Controversy

As we move from one season to the next, apparently we are also developing some serious issues about this time of the year. I would say what this time of year is, but being afraid to adding to this season's (whatever season this is) controversy, I shall remain silent. Sort of ...

Anyhow, on to the current controversies, mainly because I want to incite further angst and ill will (well, not really, but hoping to make a point). Here are the issues at point:

  • Starbucks cups. Who knew a simple paper cup could spell doom and disaster? Apparently Starbucks' choice of a plain red cup is an attack on Christmas. Who knew that Starbucks was the end all and be all in deciding all things Christmas? 
  • Thanksgiving vs Christmas. These are two holidays. Heaven forbid one should overlap the other. Because one should be thankful for a certain period and one should celebrate the birth of Christ for another period? And I have no idea how Hanukkah and Kwanzaa play into this holiday dilemma.
  • Christmas trees. I won't even bring up the thought that they should be "holiday trees," because I don't know what holidays the trees should be about. The controversy is about when one should erect and decorate said Christmas tree. Which apparently some people think should be regulated by law to the extent of creating a tree policing brigade (in case your friends and family's comments about the earliness/lateness of your tree erection aren't enough).
  • Christmas/Kwanzaa/Hanukkah shopping. Should start/end/commence on certain days and be advertised only on certain days and sales should only be during a certain time period. Because Christmas is all about the shopping and giving of stuff, right?
  • Christmas music on the radio all the time. Some people listen to Christmas music all year long. Some don't want to listen to it ever (how can you get through life without "The Christmas Shoes" and "I Want A Hippopotamus for Christmas"?). Life is full of hard decisions like this - turn the radio off or turn it to another station.
I'm sure there are many other issues when celebrating this time of year. Personally, now that the horrid Halloween holiday is over, I'm for celebrating it all, all the time. I haven't put up my tree yet, or turned on the Christmas music, but it may happen at any time. I'm trying to be thankful every day, and not wait until that one Thursday in November. Because during these final two months of the year, I find that I am indeed thankful. It's two months of love and joy and thankfulness - for all that I've been blessed with and the beauty that surrounds me every day.

So, as I toast you all in my plain old red cup, as I listen to dogs barking Jingle Bells, as I attempt to assemble and decorate my Charlie Brown tree, I don't say Happy Thanksgiving, or Happy Holidays, or even Merry Christmas. I say, "I love you and wish you happiness and joy." And whether that means your tree is up or it won't ever be up, I wish you love - because in the end, that's all that really matters.
*************************************************************************************
Thankful today for: Everley time; airport run for Steve; quiet night at home

No comments: