Thursday, August 6, 2015

10 Professions I Passed On and Why

1. Tennis Pro. In high school, I took lessons with my high-school boyfriend. To say I wasn't very good is probably an understatement. When the lessons ended, so did my tennis playing career.

2. Dancer. I took dance when I was in first grade. At the end of the year, my teacher suggested to my mother that I choose another form of expression. So much for that interpretive dance career.

3. Artist. Upon seeing my 4th grade creation (it resembled some sort of monster. The assignment was probably to draw a flower), my art teacher said it was "creative." My grandmother however, hung it on her wall of art (a bare wall over the freezer on the back porch). It hung there until the termites ate it up - similar to my art career.

4. Competitive swimmer. I was on the local swim team in my 'tweens. I was in the 'tweens according to talent, also. Not the best nor the worst. And it was very physical. And practice was at dark-thirty in the morning. I obviously lost my Wheaties box on this one.

5. Pianist. I begrudgingly took lessons forever, until my piano teacher and I parted ways - mainly because neither of us was interested in a murder conviction. Then a sweet young thing managed to get me through the last year. While I didn't become a concert (or anywhere else) pianist, I'm pretty sure she gained saint status.

6. Jazz saxophonist. Again, my talents were mediocre at best. I didn't have the talent or skills. Or dedication to practice to achieve those skills. Just think that because of this, you gained Kenny G. Although we both had curly hair ...

7. Professional Majorette. Okay, so I really don't know if this profession progresses past college. For me, it did not even progress that far. I got into it late and didn't have all the skills needed to get really fancy. And I was busy getting the skills to graduate high school early anyhow. But I still have my batons, just in case I find a job opening.

8. Professional Girl Scout. I bailed after one year of Brownies. There was a lot involved. And meetings to attend. Although I never sold a box of cookies, I have bought many through the years. It's basically the same, isn't it?

9. Actress. Although I was one of the principals in my first grade play, the roles dried up after that. I could just never top that performance. I did perform as "Little Miss Sunbeam" in the play for our Sweetheart Banquet at church while I was in high school. My line? "I'm sweet and fresh and batter-whipped!" Now how could I top that?!

10. Data Processor. You don't know what that is? Well, there used to be these computers that filled up a room. And you had to write a program and put that on data cards to get the computer to add 1 + 1. And the cards were large and you would end up with about a zillion cards to create a printout that told you that 1 + 1 = 7. So you had to start over and do it all again and look at your cards to see which one was wrong. Luckily electronic calculators also arrived on the scene, so my adding issues were quickly addressed. Without cards and/or a printout. And so I found a new major. For that sememster, anyway!
*************************************************************************************
Today is a gift because: taking Everley to school; Sounds game

No comments: