Sunday, July 26, 2015

The 2015 Showing

I have a group of hydrangeas outside my front picture window. I've had them for several years. They are the "Endless Summer" variety because they're supposed to bloom - all summer. However for the past few years, they have not bloomed as expected. Usually by the end of the summer, I might have a few blooms. Certainly not like the fluffy, multitude of blooms that I see all around town. I had pretty much give up on this year, until finally one little bloom has decided to show its face. Maybe it will encourage all the other plants to show theirs, too - but I highly doubt it. Apparently I have the variety of Endless Summer hydrangeas that are late bloomers - or just plain non-bloomers.

For several years I read up and took care of the hydrangeas on my own. I pruned when and how it was suggested (basically these were supposed to be the easy-care version of these plants). I didn't seem to be doing such a good job, so we hired a company to take care of all the plants in the yard. They haven't had any better results (and we also had a differing opinion as to what we liked in a yard), so we parted ways. Next week a new landscaping company is taking over. I've been able to chat with them, so we're all on the same page about the yard - and about the hydrangeas. New Landscaper thinks it's a matter of fertilizer. I'm willing to give them one more year, but then I just might have to move on to something else. I'm all for giving things a chance and even understanding late-blooming, but at some point you've got to do what you're supposed to do! We'll see what the new landscapers decide - but I really think my hydrangeas should bloom where they are planted!!
***********************************************************************************
Today is a gift because: brunch with Everley, Lindley, and Lynnette; Target and Pop Ponies; Steve's safe trip back from GDiz

No comments: