Friday, July 10, 2015

Flags

A lot has been said lately in the news and on facebook about the flying of flags. The two flags that are being flown (or not flown) are the Confederate flag and the rainbow flag. It seems that some people are very upset about the flying of flags. And there are some that are very vehement about it. I understand. And that's the whole point, if you ask my opinion (which you haven't, but I'm going to give it to you anyway). The point is - I understand. The question is - do the flag people understand?

I understand the history of the Confederate flag. I understand what it represents. I know that the Civil War was not about slavery but about states rights. My home state of Mississippi has the confederate flag as part of the Mississippi state flag. When I was in the 6th grade, our class play was "Seven Flags Over Mississippi." (I'm fifth from the left on the bottom row). I'm current on why the Confederate flag is important to some people. But when that flag becomes a symbol of hate against a certain segment of our fellow brothers and sisters on this Earth, should we be thinking about why we deem it so important? And if it wasn't so important to some flag-flyers last year (who might not even have owned the flag), then why has it suddenly become so important? I understand why people feel it's important to their history, but what about the people for whom it represents hate? Would it be the same if a person of German descent decided to fly the Nazi flag in a Jewish community? I have read every argument on the pro-Confederate flag issue - and I understand. But again, when it's being used as a symbol of hate, does it do any good in terms of representing the South when some are adamant about keeping it flying? Wouldn't it be a better representation of Southern love and genteelness if it were just put away instead of flaunting it in the feeling of "By Gawd I'll fly what I want?"

So what about the rainbow flag? I understand that it offends those who oppose anything but relationships between two people of the opposite sex. With the recent decision of SCOTUS legalizing same-sex marriage, the flag and its colors have been flying. Not to offend, but to celebrate. Yes, I have read about some people who have been celebrating in ways that I don't understand. Yes, I understand that some are pulling quotes out of the Bible to solidify their condemnation of this ruling. I've stopped and spent some time thinking about all these arguments, because first of all I am a follower of Christ and believer in God. But all I know is that in the Bible, when Jesus spoke and acted, He did it all in the name of love. Period. The only ones He judged were those who were too busy judging instead of loving and helping. I am happy that all of my friends and family are now free to marry whomever they wish. And no, it does not mean that next you will be able to marry your dog, or you will be forced to attend a wedding for those you disapprove. It just means that once again, we're trying to make things equal for everyone in our country.

So, if you're still reading this, offended by what I'm saying or not, here's my bottom line.

If you have a Confederate flag, fine - keep it. But just keep in mind that it's been used more for hate recently than for love or the brotherhood of all people. If you are proud of it, that's fine, too. Just be clear of why you're proud and how you wish to proclaim it. And if you see one flying that offends you, then talk with the one who is flying it. Hopefully the two of you can have a real conversation about the flag and life and liberty and love. The same goes for the rainbow flag. If you disagree with what it represents, try to look beyond the flag. Look at the people it represents. They are your brothers and your sisters in Christ. And He chose love over judgement every time.

John 13:34-35New International Version (NIV)

34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
***********************************************************************************
Today is a gift because: quiet evening at home; Everley sleepover

No comments: