Monday, June 22, 2015

My Movie Reviews

With my movie pass, I've seen a total of four movies - probably the sum total of all the movies I've seen in the past several years. So since I'm becoming quite the movie buff, I decided to give you my reviews of the movies I've seen so far. You're welcome. Oh, and since I've already told you about "Inside Out," then you get only three reviews. I obviously need to see more movies ...

Movie #1 - "San Adreas." And to answer the movie poster, I was with Molly. Sometime last week. Here's the basic story - some dudes at Cal Tech (or some California college) have figured out a way to predict earthquakes. They go to the Hoover Dam and a big earthquake happens, destroying the dam and one of the scientist dudes. Meanwhile, The Rock (Dwayne Johnson) is an emergency helicopter pilot who has been rescuing some chick because her car is hanging off a mountain. He's also about to get divorced and his almost ex-wife has moved in with their college-aged daughter to the ex-wife's rich boyfriend's place. Back to the earthquake predictors - they are now saying that "the biggest one ever" is about to happen in San Francisco, which just happens to be where Rock's daughter is with the mom's new boyfriend, enroute to college. The earthquake happens, and the rest of the movie is about how Rock drives a helicopter, a plane, and a boat to rescue the daughter (he had already rescued the almost ex-wife). Disaster movie? Yup. Action movie? Yup. Gory? Not really. Not even after the earthquake and resulting tsunami when Rock and company have to boat around a flooded San Fran looking for the daughter - no bodies floating anywhere. If you like action movies, go see it. If you are wary of earthquakes, don't go see it. If you want to suspend belief and watch the Rock do a lot of many things, then this is your movie!

Movie #2 - "Spy." I will pretty much see anything with Melissa McCarthy in it. I just love her! And this is certainly one to see (can you tell I liked it?). Melissa rocks her part - she's funny, she's smart, she's cute, she's everything. And her wardrobe is quite fetching, especially the cat t-shirt! It's funny and it also has a pretty good storyline about spies and stuff.  Jude Law is in it as well as the meanish girl from "Bridesmaids" who is also kinda funny. And the other secret agent dude is funny, in an arrogant kind of way. The story is basically that Melissa is a spy who works behind her computer helping out Spy Jude, and then has to go after the nuclear weapon that Meanish Girl's daddy devised, because Spy Jude killed daddy, and the Meanish Girl killed Spy Jude (yes, they have names, but why bother?). Other Secret Agent Dude wants to save the day, but his ego keeps getting in the way, which leads to funny stuff - especially if you stay through the closing credits. Anyhow, if you like Melissa, go see it. If you like funny, go see it. If you like spy-type movies, go see it. And be sure to wear your cat shirt!

Movie #3 - "I'll See You In My Dreams."  After seeing two action movies, I was not prepared for the glacial pace of this movie. Sure, it was good. Sure, it was worth watching. But it was like watching paint dry - that slow and I was glad it finally ended. Here's the story - Blythe Danner is a widow of 20 years. She lives in her house, although her best girlfriends life at the retirement development (I guess in houses or condos). Her dog dies. Blythe makes friends with her young pool dude, and goes to sing karaoke at a bar one night. She plays bridge at the retirement place with her buds and meets Sam Elliott in the parking lot. She goes to 5 minute dating at the retirement home. She goes out (and eventually sleeps) with Sam Elliot who is soon out of the picture. She goes with her buds to the grocery store (the best scene in the movie). She meets up with her friends for some more bridge and they decide to take a cruise. Her pool dude comes by and sings her a song he wrote. The movie ends. I'm sure it's meaningful (at least it was to the ladies behind us) and poignant and heartrending, but I kept waiting for Melissa to come in with her gun or The Rock to swoop in with his helicopter. Anyhow, if you want to rest your brain and think meaningful thoughts, go see it. I did.

Well, that's all for now. I will go see something else soon - just taking a break after "Inside Out." Not sure what will be next - stay tuned!!
*************************************************************************************
Today is a gift because: quiet Monday at home thinking of stuff I should be doing

No comments: