Monday, June 1, 2015

Giving

Recently I gave a gift to someone. After the gift was opened, someone uttered the comment, "You just can't outgive Luanne." While I took it as a compliment, it did leave me a bit bewildered. At first, I didn't know how to respond. Should I have said, "Thank you." Should I have said, "Sorry - didn't mean to try to compete or one-up anybody." Instead, I sort of said nothing and started thinking about the comment. And after a bit of thinking, I have come up with what I should have said ...

First of all, most of the time, when I give a gift, it's because I found something that makes me think of a certain person. Sure, there are those times that I have to come up with something for a particular occasion. But most of the time, I just see something and somebody comes to mind and so I end up getting that something and sending it to that somebody.

But here's the kicker. Who is really the author of that thought? Who puts the something and someone together? Who is really the giver? It's simple - it's God. God puts it all together and just uses me to gift someone. He wants to express His Love to one of His children, and so puts me in a time and place to do that. Oh, and as a sidebar, if you have or ever receive something from me that (a) makes no sense, and/or (b) you absolutely do not like, that's okay. Sometimes my hearing isn't so great when it comes to God speaking to me. But if you've ever received anything that made you happy, or made you smile, or made you feel better, it's totally God's doing. He is just using me as His conduit.

Anyhow, as I thought back on that comment, I decided it was indeed correct. Except for one thing - it's really not me you can't outgive - it's God. And what a blessing that is!
*********************************************************************************
Today is a gift because: It's June and summer is here!

No comments: