Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Happy Birthday Florence!

No, not Florence Henderson, you children of the 70's. Today is the birthday of Florence Nightingale - the founder of modern nursing (at least that's what I read on Wikipedia). Anyhow, in honor of all nurses, and particularly the ones I list below, I would like to say a big thanks - for all of us who aren't nurses. Because we couldn't do what you do, even if we wanted to, and we're so grateful that you do what you do!! So, in no particular order, here are my favorite nurses ...

Aunt Ruby (not really my aunt but a family friend from my childhood) - you probably didn't like giving me whatever shots you gave me any more than I wanted to get them. And I apologize for the probably screaming and crying that ensued. And I still don't know why running to my room and reading my book of Bible stories did not sway you (or my parents) from your mission. I guess I'm alive now because of those shots. Whatever they were.

My first nurse in my first labor and delivery. Although she had the hugest fist I had ever experienced (and anyone who has had a natural delivery can get the gist of that), she was also the kindest person I have ever known (don't know if the drugs had taken effect then).

Any and all nurses that attended to me or my female family members during labor and delivery - thank you for making the unknown less scary and keeping your opinions to yourself while voicing the right comments to us. You helped us deliver the most precious things we've ever known and we will be forever thanking you for them.

Any and all nurses who helped treat my children. Thank you helping them in whatever role was needed at the time and not reporting me to the Bad Mother's Bureau for ignorance of knowing how to be a mom.

And finally, thank you to my own personal nurses, my friends Emily and Kay, and my sister Marilyn. Thanks for answering my questions when I needed free medical advice.  And thanks for all you do for everyone else in the world - they are truly blessed for having you as their nurse!

Happy Nurse's Week!!
**********************************************************************************
Today is a gift because: quiet day doing as little as possible!

No comments: