Sunday, February 15, 2015

And The Streak Continues!!

Today I finished the 26.2 With Donna Breast Cancer Marathon. I've done it every year since its inception, eight years ago. Last year my streak was in danger, since Donna scheduled her race the same weekend as the Disney Princess Marathon. And since the Princess is totally a family and friends event, there was no question as to which race I would choose (although there was a lot of agony in the decision). However, while we were in the Tampa airport last fall, Molly found an ad for Donna and they had announced their virtual race, where you could do the distance, send in your time, and it would count for last year's race time. You would get your medal and if you were a streaker, your streak would be intact!  Happy Day!! So this year my streak was intact! This year our special streaker prize was a small charm with the running ribbon and "8 Years Streaker" on it. Now can you see how stressed I was last year?

Anyhow, back to today's race. It started at the friendly start time of 7:30am. I got on the bus at 6am to get to the start. I chatted with some other runners until it was our time to cross the start line and off we went! This is a great race with great supporters along the course. There was a lot of pinkness displayed on the houses as we ran through the neighborhoods, and many complete strangers encouraging you as you run wog past. My favorite and best two personal supporters were out again this year. My sister-in-law Kitty and Ray were out on the street (for who knows how long in the cold weather) waiting patiently for me to amble past. Eventually I did and since my camera was malfunctioning, some complete stranger took this photo and texted it to me. See what I mean about the great supporters?

Anyhow again, back to the actual race. My first seven miles were great. I was on pace (never you mind what that pace was - it was a forward pace and that's all that counts). However, the last six miles were not so great. It seemed my untrained and overweight body thought that seven miles was enough and decided to put it into low gear for the rest of the race (yes, it was in a pretty low gear the first seven miles - who knew there was a lower gear than that?). The last three miles are basically a series of inclines until that eventual downhill to the finish. I even managed to run in the last tenth of a mile (okay, so "run" is a relative term - let's just say I picked up the pace). Steve was at the finish and cheered me on and took a video (which shall stay in the archives). I finished, received my medal and charm, got my two free drinks, slurped my free soup (best ever), and headed back to the hotel for a welcome shower and get ready to head back home.

Last year I decided that for each race I did, I would do it for someone I knew. This year I hadn't planned on doing the same thing until a recent event prompted me to do otherwise. So this year, this race is for Debbie, a lady I will never meet. Let me explain ...

Debbie is the wife of Rich, a fellow I went to high school and church with back in the olden days. As with most of my high school friends, we had lost touch until Facebook came about and we started re-connecting. Several years ago Rich and I became FB friends and with my usual FB stalking ways, I found out about his family. Then a few years ago I found out that his wife Debbie had breast cancer. She had treatment and surgery and seemed to be okay. Then it came back and despite treatments, took her life last January. Last week Rich posted on Facebook about a new vaccine for Triple Negative breast cancer, the type that took Debbie's life, that is being developed at the Mayo Clinic, the very place that sponsors this race, the very place that receives all the proceeds from this race. So it seemed only fitting that I should do this race for Debbie, a person I'll never meet but whose life influenced so many people. And so at the race expo, I took a bib and wrote Debbie's name. I wore it for the entire 13.1 miles and finished for her. I did it for the life she lived, the one I wish she were here to finish living, and all those Debbies who will hopefully benefit from this new vaccine.

Because in the end, finishing 13.1 miles wasn't so bad. It wasn't chemotherapy, or surgery, or hearing that initial or final diagnosis, or having to say goodbye to those you love. It's just 13.1 miles that I was privileged to finish - and today it was for Debbie.
********************************************************************************
Today is a gift because: chatting and talking with the other runners on the bus and in the corrals; super supporters along the course and particularly Ray, Kitty, and the phone lady; finishing the half-marathon; seeing Steve at the finish; streaker charm and all the food at the finish; lunch at Colonel Mustard's with Steve; getting a few errands complete before heading to the airport

No comments: