Thursday, January 29, 2015

And We're (Technically They're) Back!!

Today the plumbers returned to finish the Great Tankless Installation of 2015. The roofer dude showed up and got the roof holes done/repaired - after I retrieved some shingles leftover from Maribeth and Mathieu's garage roof repair. The plumbers attached everything to the new system, took out the old relic known as the hot water heater, relocated the water pipes for the washing machine to the other wall, and replaced the last of the cast iron pipes under the house.  Head Plumber Dude showed me the new system and explained it to me (not sure how much I actually retained), took my check, and then left (leaving his DeWalt charger, which he would call about later that evening).

While all this work was going on, the pedestals for the washer/dryer were delivered. Delivery dude came in and asked to see the machines. I had read reviews that said that the delivery dudes WOULD NOT install the pedestals, which did cause me some concern, but figured I would figure a way around that - like Scarlett, on another day. However, this dude acted like he would be installing them - until he saw my machines. To make a long, sad story short, because they were not brand new and did not have the stabilizer (or something like it) screws still screwed in, he could not guarantee that the pedestals could be installed without mortal injuries to the machines (because apparently he would have to lay the machines down, or upside down, or flippity-floppity all around). I agreed that such an action would not be desired. He said I could refuse the delivery and they pedestals would return to the store and my money would be refunded. So much for my pedestal dreams ...

Back to the plumbers. Although they cleaned up very nicely once they were finished, I was not prepared for one part that was no fault of theirs. Apparently when we spruced up the laundry room several years ago, the people who put down the tile did not tile under the water heater. Which means the washing machine is semi-level because there are tiles missing. Which, if I had pedestals, perhaps they would compensate for the gaps. But I don't. So clearly I am going to have to figure out something.

I had some tiles leftover from our den, so I sort of placed them in the gaps. But clearly this was not going to be a good solution, so I was going to have to figure something else out. The good news is that we have a new hot water system and my laundry room can return to doing laundry.

I didn't want this adventure to be over yet, anyhow ...
*********************************************************************************
Today is a gift because: Lindley and Everley time; new hot water system installed; roof dude

No comments: