Monday, October 20, 2014

Beauty and The Beholder's Eye

"The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful
is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason."
-John Cage-

Yes, sometimes I make judgments. On people's physical attributes, on their actions, on their attitudes, and just about anything I can possibly judge. I'm not sure why I, or anybody for that matter, chooses to judge. Maybe it's a lack of confidence or pride in one's self. So we think if we belittle someone else in some way, it makes us better. But instead, it makes us worse.

So I wonder if the next time a thought comes to mind that would somehow would reflect in a negative way on someone else, if I could change that. Could I instead find the beautiful in that person and that situation? Could I express that beauty and walk away from the negative? 

In light of my current lack of conviction about doing anything on a routine basis, this seems like a difficult task. But like a regular routine of working out, jogging, eating sensibly, and assorted things like that, I believe I would feel better if I adopted this new thought pattern.

Maybe people would even see me differently. After all, we all have beauty within us - it just sometimes takes one person to see it and bring it out.
**************************************************************************
Today is a gift because: travel planning complete; a teensy bit of cleaning done

No comments: