Sunday, September 21, 2014

Pilot Boats

Last night as the ship was leaving San Juan, we watched as the Pilot Boat pulled up alongside the Magic to pick up the pilot. In several ports, a local boat pilot person will board the boat to guide the ship in and out of port. Along with the pilot boat, there was a police boat to insure things were safe (from people in rouge boats, I guess).

As I watched, I thought about having pilot boats in life. Wouldn’t it be great if, when you were in uncharted and unfamiliar territories, that someone would pull up beside you and guide you to a safe landing? Wouldn’t it be great if there was also a someone who stayed close, to keep you out of trouble and to keep others from hurting you? Wouldn’t it be great if you never had to worry, because you always knew these two would be there whenever you needed them, and in sometimes, whether you needed them or not?

And then I thought about today being The Lord’s Day, and what that really means. I thought about that God is indeed those pilot and police boats, all rolled into one. God is the one who will steer us into safe territory and keep us safe when the territory is not safe. All we have to do is allow him to come into our lives and let him take charge.

Sure, Captain John could refuse any help and hope for the best. But he knows better and accepts the help he needs. Surely I can be that smart and rely on The One who knows all and loves me more than I could ever imagine. Today, on His day, I am thankful for my Pilot Policeman, and hope that I will always be open to His direction in all things.

*******************************************************************************
Today is a gift because: quiet day at sea; meeting our other tablemates from Kentucky

No comments: