Thursday, July 24, 2014

I Love TBT!!!

First of all, I have a ready blog topic (based on some random photograph I find).

Second of all, it gives me a chance to catch up, should I need it (when I need it, because I need it, etc.).

Third of all, I get to see what was.  And share what was with you - who is.

And with that, here's this week's catchup throw-back-Thursday picture!!


This was in August of 1974 (you do the math).  My first time to Disney World.  We went as a family - my parents and my brother and sister.  My sister was already in college, I was about to start my freshman year in college, and my brother was a teenager.  We picked up my Aunt Luellen on the way - she lived in Bunnell, Florida.  We did the typical old-school family style WDW visit - everyone did everything together.  My mother was afraid we would get lost.  Because in her mind we were still toddlers.  Anyhow, this photo is us (or some of us) on a "ride" where you got in a canoe and paddled around (I believe it was around Tom Sawyer Island).  We also rode the Skylift.  Neither ride exists now.  At the end of the day, my father determined it was time to go.  He wanted to beat the crowds.  Which meant we were going to miss the fireworks, which was a big thing for my sister and me.  As much as we dawdled and went to the bathroom, there was no way to extend our time to see the fireworks.  And so we missed them.  We did see a car on fire as we left, so I guess that would count as some kind of fireworks - just not the kind we wanted to see.

And thus began my obsession love of all things Disney World.  Especially the fireworks!!
*******************************************************************************
Today was a great day because:  taking Everley to school and seeing NetNet; dinner and dessert with Steve and Molly; Steve bringing Starbucks home

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Who took this picture? I have absolutely no memory of this.

Luanne said...

Like you would even go on this ride!! The picture has Aunt Luellen's writing on the back, so I assume she took it. You and Mother were probably on the pier - and Mother was probably looking for a lifeguard and yelling, "RICHARD - HOLD ON TO THOSE KIDS!!"