Tuesday, June 10, 2014

June?

I know as I get older, the passing of days gets quicker.  But seriously, it's June already?  How can almost half of 2014 be over, when it seems yesterday was just ... well, yesterday?  But then again, yesterday does seem quite some time ago ...

Anyhow, when I was just a kid (and I mean kid, not the 30-year-olds who seem like kids to me now), June signaled the beginning of summer.  School was out, we could sleep late, the weather was warm, and everything was great!  My family rarely went on vacations (my dad was a dairy farmer and there wasn't a ready pool of substitute dairy farmers on hand), so the summer was usually spent at home.

We usually spent time at the swimming pool, either in lessons or at swim team practice.  We spent time under my grandmother's oak tree shelling and picking out peas (if you don't know what picking out peas involves, then you've missed out on some fun).  We spent time playing with each other, with our friends, and with the inevitable litter of kittens (well, I did anyway).  We would also go to cookouts, attend VBS, and have sleepovers.  There was always the inevitable smell of silage when my dad came in from the fields (another sensory overload that should be experienced).  There were fields to be explored and trees to climb.  And since my mother cooked a full three meals a day, there was always something good to eat.

So you can see that the Junes of my youth were very much welcomed.  I'm not sure when June began to represent the things that I haven't accomplished in any given year.  But maybe it's time I stopped giving June the bad rap of things not done, and rechristened it as things to be done.  And if I do, maybe the fun and exuberance that I need will come back.  I can do without the silage smell, though ...
*****************************************************************************
Today was a great day because:  slow Wednesday; Molly coming over for trip planning; meds helping with sinus headache; Lynnette getting her TSA Pre done

No comments: