Monday, May 26, 2014

Sea Day - And Whales!!!

Yes, I saw whales today!!!  At dinner tonight, when we listed our daily high/lows, my low was that I hadn't seen any whales.  Steve saw one this morning, and Mathieu saw one while everyone was in our room before dinner.  Maribeth didn't care unless the whales were doing Sea World-type jumps and twists, so she didn't count.  But I hadn't seen nary a fin.

Fast forward to after dinner.  I was walking with Everley back to the room.  As we walked past the row of full-length windows, I noticed cast members and cruisers gathered at the windows.  On an Alaska cruise, it could mean only one thing - WHALES!!!  And sure enough, there were three just outside the window!!  No, they were not flipping , but you could see them blow through their blow holes and their backs and then their back tails as they swam alongside the ship  And as we went down the hall, we saw more and more, so it must have been a pod of whales!  I give all the glory to God, who must have wanted Everley and me to see the whales - and provided them in multiples!!  So I guess I'll have to change today's low to a high - isn't that just the way God works?

As far as the rest of the day, it was beautiful.  And it was also very cold and windy.  Steve and I were babysitting Everley while her parents ate brunch at Palo.  We decided to walk on the top deck, and it was so windy, we were walking at an angle so we wouldn't get blown over.  It was also very chilly.  But the sun was out and the views absolutely breathtaking.   Tomorrow we actually get off the ship - we arrive in Sitka!!

********************************************************************************
Today was a great day because:  beautiful mountains and trees; beautiful cold, windy day; seeing Mathieu and Maribeth as we walked past Palo; Everley time; whales!!

No comments: