Tuesday, April 8, 2014

What We Do

The other day, Sam had a random encounter with someone he went to church with many years ago.  When the person asked what Sam did now, Sam replied that he is an entrepreneur.  To which this person replied, "That's vague."

When Sam told me about this encounter and the response he got, I was a bit baffled.  First of all, I wasn't surprised - that person is sort of an odd conversationalist.  But I'm always surprised at the responses people seem to make when it comes to commenting on the eternal question of "What do you do?"  Sometimes I just wish instead of blurting out a quick comment to the answer to that question, the person would just stop, think, and then say, "And what does that entail?"

For Sam, my answer for him would be that he dreams big dreams and then sets about getting them into action.  He finds stories in everyday life and then tells them so that others can hear the stories, enjoy them, and maybe even learn from them.  He speaks and encourages so that others can dream big dreams and persevere to see their own dreams move into action.  Dictionary.com defines an entrepreneur as: “a person who organizes and manages any enterprise, especially a business, usually with considerable initiative and risk.”  Instead of finding that vague, I find it intriguing.

But the same question is asked daily, and when the answer is given, very few people wait around to hear the whole story.  "Oh, so you're a stay at home mom."   "Oh, so you work in an office."  "Oh, so you're a teacher."  "Oh, so you're retired."  Oh - so do you really have any idea what that means?

I guess the point of this soapbox sermon is the next time I hear somebody tell what they do, I hope I have a chance to ask them what that means.  Because if I am interested enough to ask the question, I should be interested enough to hear the whole story.
*******************************************************************************
Today is a great day because:  I actually got a room cleaned out/up; Molly's beef stew for lunch; some Wal-Mart/Target therapy; Steve's safe return home

No comments: