Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Brain Pollution

Tonight I watched two episodes of "Real Housewives of New York."  The other night I watched "Real Housewives of Orange County."  I might have just as well watched paint dry - it probably would have better for my grey matter.

In case you've never seen these television shows, they are about "housewives" in each of these two areas (there are also Atlanta, New Jersey, and Beverly Hills franchises).  The women may or may not be wives, so I'm unsure as to why those women are actually on the show, except for the fact that they live in houses.  Or condos that I guess counts as a "house" as much as they count as "wives."

Anyhow, the plot is pretty much the same every episode.  They drink a lot of alcohol, and get in a lot of fights with each other.  Over pretty much nothing.  And by fights I mean lots of loud yelling at the same time with nobody listening.  Everyone is pretty much just yelling and then yelling some more because the other one won't stop yelling to listen and instead is yelling louder.  Then it's time to drink some more and become friends with last week's enemy or become enemies with last week's friends.

Do I think it's mostly scripted?  Yes.  Do I believe any of it?  Not really.  Then why do I watch it?  Because it's like watching a train wreck - it's just hard to turn away.  Since I am really a housewife, I find it fascinating that women behave, or allow themselves to act on camera in a reality show, like this.  My friends and I have never yelled at each other or gotten into such fights.  So I guess I feel like a researcher observing some strange species.

The bad thing is that these shows pollute my brain.  Instead of thinking about sweet things like kitties and puppies, I think about these crazy, screaming women.  My brain overworks itself trying to make sense of these women and coming up with nothing.

So, like Honey Boo Boo and Dance Moms, I really need to give this wackiness up.  I just wish the new season hadn't started ...
*************************************************************************
Today was a great day because:  5 miles in the 'hood with KB; lunch with Lisa

No comments: