Friday, January 17, 2014

A Pixie Dust of a 5K!

Today Molly and I did the Never Land 5K at Disneyland.  It quickly became my favorite RunDisney 5K.  Why?  Let me share the ways ...

First, it starts in the Magic Kingdom, pretty much in front of Sleeping Beauty's (rather shrunk) castle.  It was just a short walk from our hotel, which meant we could sleep a bit before heading out. It was really neat to be on Main Street in the dark early hours (the race started at 5:45am) with about 3500 of your closest (and new) friends. 

Second, "The Star Spangled Banner" was performed on the trumpet by a cast member.  While hearing it sung live is always cool, hearing it this way is very special.

Third, before the race starts, lights and fireworks light up the castle and Tinkerbell comes out - AND FLIES AROUND THE CASTLE!!!  Not just a quick flight from here to there, but she flits about from here to there and back to here - super duper cool!!

Fourth, the race starts, and off we go - basically just through the Magic Kingdom and California Adventure parks.  No boring parts on the local roads - it's all in the parks.  We got to see the backstage areas (at least when the sun came up) and lots of fun in the parks themselves.

Fifth, the race ends in California Adventure  - in the park!  We got our post-race bottles of water and our box and snacks and headed out when ...

Finally, we pass by Starbucks on the way out (Disneyland has a SB in each park)!  What could be better than to finish and then finish with a frappuccino!!  I even tried a new frap - White Chocolate and it was yummy!!

So this quickly became my favorite Disney 5K.  And who is it for?  It's for my cyber-turned-real friend Denise, who has never done a 5K or been to Disneyland.  By doing this race, she can accomplish both.  And she seems convinced that if she ever does a 5K, I can participate in one of her activities of choice, which is master quilting, (or should I say is master artistic quilting, which is far from what I do with a sewing machine).  So we shall see who does what first - I with a quilting needle and some FQs (whatever that is) or Denise laces up some running shoes for a PR.  Of course knowing her, she'll probably quilt her own shoes!!
********************************************************************
Today was a great day because:  5K with Molly at Disneyland; Starbucks post-race; breakfast at El's with Molly and then shopping at DD; Steve's safe travel to Columbus

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

I would love to see some quilted running/walking shoes! Good luck on Sunday- will be praying for you again :)

Kat said...

I have seen Denise's work on her blog. No doubt she could quilt some beautiful shoes :-)

Denise in PA said...

Awww, Luanne, you are such a doll!! Thank you! o:) I was reading along just loving your description and imagining myself there and then I choked up a little by the end. I think I'd better lace up some shoes and get training ( and as I always say, I don't sew, I make quilts, so won't be making the shoes - LOL). And, I would absolutely love to get get a rotary cutter and some fat quarters in your hand! LOL