Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Streak Will Live On!!


There are a few races that I repeat because I like them. They’re fun and in a fun place. There are also races that I do for those reasons and for another – in that particular race I am a “streaker” and no, that doesn’t mean I wog around in my birthday suit. It means that I did the very first race and I’ve done it every year since then.

I was very dismayed to find that in 2014, two of my favorite half-marathons for which I am a streaker, were scheduled for the very same day and I would not be able to compete in them both. The Princess Half Marathon at Disney has always been the last Sunday in February. The Donna, or the Breast Cancer Marathon, changes its date, and this year it was going to be on the same date. The Princess is in Orlando and the Donna is in Jacksonville. While both were in the same state, and while there is plenty of me to be divided into two people, I simply was going to have to choose.

I entered both, hoping one would change its date, but neither did. I wrote (as did Molly) both, hoping that my highly sought-after (at least sought-after by my imaginary friends) opinion would be heeded and somebody would change the date. Alas, it was not going to happen. Disney said they always had the same date – Donna was the one who changed their date. I never really heard back from Donna.

I decided to go with Disney. After all, their date had not changed, and it had become an annual girls trip. As much as I hated to choose, I did, realizing that my Donna streak was about to end.

But then something great came about. No, the dates didn’t change. On Sunday while we were sitting in the airport after the St. Pete half marathon, Molly was reading a “Women’s Running” magazine. There was an ad for the Donna race, and at the top was the listing for the races – and one of the listings was for “virtual.”


We went to the website and found that the virtual meant that you could register for the Donna and do the 13.1 miles on your own, then post it and then you would be sent your medal. In the Q&A section was this question:
I am a DONNA Streaker. Will the virtual event allow me to keep my ‘streak’? Yes. You will be able to maintain your streaker status completing the virtual event.
Needless to say I was very excited about this (and am hoping that everybody gets their own race date in 2015).

Today I emailed the Donna and got all the details worked out. I do have to start a fundraising account (minimum is $150 and no, I’m not asking for donations. At least not for this race. I still have another 3-Day in 2014. But if you want to donate money, this is a great cause, as all the race fees go to the Mayo Clinic for breast cancer research and treatment – check it out here).

Anyhow, I’m just happy that it has all worked out. And that Molly paid attention when she was reading the magazine, because I had pretty much given up. I guess it goes to show you to never give up and and also to complain about your issues in case somebody else finds out some important information for you. 


I’m still a streaker!! Yay!! I will go get dressed now ...
**********************************************************************************
Today was a great day because: I spent the day with a puny Everley; went Wal-Mart-ing with Everley; cooked Thanksgiving dinner/Lynnette’s birthday dinner and had all the family over; got packed and in the car by 6:45pm to head to Atlanta on the road trip to Florida; had a lovely bed waiting on me at the Courtyard in McDonough, GA

No comments: