Friday, November 15, 2013

Memory - Or The Lack Of It

KB and I were talking about how little we remember these days.  Like how we get in the car with a destination in mind, only to find two minutes later that we're going in the wrong direction - that is if we remember where we were headed in the first place.   Or like how we have to stop and think long and hard about what we had for dinner last night.  Or like how we are in one room and think about something we need to do/need to get in another room, and by the time we get there (10 seconds later) we have no idea why we are there.

When I was in graduate school, I took a Psychology class.  The professor told us that forgetfulness is often due to "brain overload."  Your brain gets filled with so much information that it selects what is brought easily to your immediate brain and what gets filed away and has to be retrieved.  Which still doesn't explain why I could probably sing the entire "Beverly Hillbillies" theme song but not tell you where I put my car keys.

And yes, I try to exercise my brain (at least I try to exercise something) with puzzles and brain games and stuff like that.  But I can't say that it necessarily has improved anything - which may explain my lack of motivation for exercise in general.

Anyhoo, I would be happy to finish up this little discourse on memory - if I could just remember the point I was trying to make ...
***********************************************************************************
Today was a great day because: I got in 4 miles with KB; had lunch with the Ms at O'Charley's; was served by a very nice waiter; found the envelope of Everley pics that I had lost; had some Everley and Lindley time

No comments: