Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Newlyweds

Thirty-six years ago I got hitched to the boy I had met the summer before.  We met at the college swimming pool, it took him a week to ask me out on a date, and the rest is history.

As I look at these two young people, I thought about what I would tell them, knowing what was ahead of them.  And the longer I thought about it, I realized that I would tell them nothing.  Mainly because the young me wouldn't have listened to or paid attention to anything the old me said.  Because the young me knew it all and knew exactly how to handle every situation.  But I also wouldn't try to tell me anything because part of living any life is dealing with what that life unveils to you.  You have to learn from every situation, decide what you want your life to be, and just do the best with what you have.  And when life takes those turns that aren't what you planned, you have to figure out how to make your life become again what you hope it to be - on your new life plan.

So I would just wish the youngsters in the picture all the best wishes I could muster.  Because looking at it 36 years later, I would say they turned out just fine.
***************************************************************************
The Good Stuff From Today:  improved movement with back issues; Everley time; Micaela bringing me a diet coke; watching "Orange is The New Black"; deliveries and purchases; Sam visit

1 comment:

Denise in PA said...

Happy Anniversary! 36 years is certainly something to be proud of. Here's another wonderful 36 years (at least!)