Friday, July 19, 2013

Ode To The Mayo

Tonight's dissertation will be on mayonnaise.  I think it's one of those things you either like or you don't. I like it.  I like it in potato salad, in slaw, in casseroles (where somebody has already determined it to be a necessary ingredient), and in all kinds of sandwiches (including banana and pineapple sandwiches).   I like the mayo.

I grew up on Blue Plate Mayonnaise.  I don't think I ever knew there was another brand until I grew up and got married.  At that point, a co-worker told me that her husband (I have no idea exactly what he did) apparently worked or did something in various mayonnaise manufacturing places, and Kraft was the only mayo he would use.  That recommendation was good enough for me, and so I switched over.  I have no interest in what's in mayonnaise, or how it's made, or how unhealthy it is.  I also have no interest in making my own mayonnaise.  In fact, I think if I thought long and hard enough, I would probably be repulsed by mayonnaise.  So I guess I'd better wrap this up.

A few weeks ago while watching "Toddlers and Tiaras," I observed a pageant mom who was preparing her daughter for an upcoming pageant.  She did a "treatment" on the toddler's hair with mayonnaise, slathering it all over her head.  The program did not cover how in the heck one got all that mayo out of the hair.  But the mayo-hair-slathering was not the gross part.  The nearly swearing-off-mayonnaise part came when, as the mother was sticking her hand in the mayo jar and rubbing it in the child's hair, the child was also putting her hand in the jar and then putting the mayo in her (the child's) mouth.  I guess it was a mayo double-duty situation.

Anyhoo, this is all to say that no matter how you personally feel about eating mayonnaise, apparently it is good for a great many things - sort of like WD40, although I hate to think about the possible similarities between the two.  Just to help you out, here is a list of 20 uses for mayonnaise.  Best of luck with whatever your mayonnaise aspirations might be - just be sure to get Kraft or Blue Plate.
************************************************************************
The Good Stuff From Today:  Everley time; quick visits with Molly and Maribeth; Steve's safe travel to Columbus; brief workout with KB at the park

8 comments:

Denise in PA said...

I just made homemade mayonnaise last weekend! Literally took 30 seconds with a stick blender! But, somehow, I don't think that will convince you to take the plunge and make your own. LOLOL o:)

Luanne said...

You WOULD make your own mayo!! ;-) I looked at a recipe and decided against it, but I am thinking about putting it as a treatment on my straggly hair ...

Marilyn said...

Nannie used to make her own mayo

Luanne said...

That is probably why I cannot make my own mayo. She probably let it sit out on the back porch all day.

Girl with a Goal said...

This post almost made me gag! And I like mayo.

Luanne said...

Camille - have you asked your granny if she ever made her own mayo? And yes, every time I go back to this post, I almost gag, too. I just can't think about it too much!!

Girl with a Goal said...

No, she has never made mayo.

Denise in PA said...

LOL - yes, I would. You have me pegged! o:)