Monday, May 20, 2013

Sometimes You Have To Try It On

Um, not what it looked like.
Recently I found a good deal on bathing suits on a "fluffy woman" online bathing suit store.  As I perused the different styles, I decided to try a "tankini" swimsuit.  For those of you not in the know, this is a type of two-piecer.  It's not a bikini or really an obvious two-piece - it's a bottom and top that pretty much covers everything.  My sister always buys this type and loves them, so I thought I'd give it a whirl, especially at the low sales price.

Once it arrived, I took out the top part and was not thrilled.  For one thing, the top seemed more ample than my top needed.  When I held it up, it also seemed that perhaps it could not cover my ample midsection (my ample-ness is obviously misaligned).  I debated whether to keep it or send it back.  I even asked around to see if anyone I knew might want it (nobody did).  So, I started the paperwork to send it back (the biggest decision was whether to get a store credit or refund).

I took the top out one more time, and on a whim decided to try it on.  Surprisingly, what I thought was a too-ample bosom area turned out to be okay (not because I suddenly expanded, but because it sort of just worked its way where it needed to go).  Then I decided to go ahead and try on the bottom - and it seemed to work, too.  In other words, everything got covered and didn't look too out of place - pretty much what I desire in a swimsuit.  So I decided to keep it.

I think my lesson was that sometimes I reject things because I don't think they will work for my life.  I look at something and decide "no" without ever really trying it.  And by not trying it on for size, maybe I'm missing out on something that really works.

So maybe I'll try stuff now, instead of discarding it based on just what I think.  Maybe I will still reject things, but at least I'll have a real idea of why something doesn't work.  But maybe more new ideas and things will work out - I just have to try them on for size.
**************************************************************************
The Good Stuff From Today:  Everley time; watching "Jack Reacher" with Steve

No comments: