Wednesday, March 27, 2013

We're All Equal When It Comes To Love

As usual, fb is all atwitter over the symbol to your left.  Like the election, some people have a definite opinion to this symbol that supports marriage rights to all (okay, so maybe there's more to it, but I like things simple).  And yes, I support marriage rights between two consenting adults, no matter their gender.

When I got married eighty bazillion years ago, I was underage (a few days away from being 20 - in other words, 19) as was my future husband.  Our parents had to sign for us to get married (this was in Mississippi, which contrary to popular belief, does care if you're a young-un' or planning to marry your sister/brother).  Anyhow, even though I was a college graduate, my husband was a Co-Op college student, and we were in no way related, we still needed permission to get married (which we were granted by our fathers - our mothers were not as thrilled - and no, we were not in the situation of "having" to get married).  Anyhow, my point is that we were in love and wanted to get married and I cannot imagine our distress had we not been able to do so.

I realize that some people think that same-sex marriage is against God's plan, and will willingly quote chapter and verse from the Bible telling me so.  But there are a great many things that the Bible speaks against, many and most of which are committed daily by heterosexual couples.  So I have to wonder why so many heterosexual couples think they are the only biblical way for couples to get together?  I also wonder, if a same-sex couple did not have sex, would that make it okay for them to be together?  I mean, what exactly is the issue?  Procreation?  Well, talk to a heterosexual couple who can't have children - how does that play in to this whole marriage thing?

I know in the beginning God created Adam and Eve.  But I also know He didn't intend for sin to enter the world.  I also know that God is all about love, as is His son, Jesus.  I know that Jesus said, "Judge not, lest you are judged."  Jesus also said, "Love your neighbor as yourself."  In fact, most of what Jesus said was about love - not judgement of someone else.  And in this season when the ultimate act of love was shown, when Jesus died willingly so that we might live, then shouldn't we all follow His example and just love?

This is probably about as controversial as I will ever get, and no doubt will offend some whom I think of as friends.  But in the end, I do believe that if two people truly love each other and want to be legally responsible for each other and enjoy the same rights that my husband of 35 years and I do, then those couples should be allowed that opportunity. Because in the end, marriage should be about love - the same love that God gives to us every day and hopes that we can give to each other.
*********************************************************************
The Good Stuff From Today:  Red Lobster lunch with Molly; mailing packages

3 comments:

Denise in PA said...

Couldn't have said it better myself! o:)

Denise in PA said...

Couldn't have said it better myself! o:)

Kat said...

Very well said, my friend! I couldn't agree more!