Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Motivation - I Need It

Okay, so today wasn't such a stellar day, as far as my personal goals of exercise and weight loss.  In fact, based on tonight's feast of fried foods (cheese, mushrooms, and shrimp), I should probably be punished.  I just can't seem to get it together (shocker, I know).

Last night I watched "The Biggest Loser."  In this episode, they were given their makeovers and then sent home to show off their makeovers and stay home for two weeks.  They were challenged to lose a certain percentage of their body weight in order to stay on the show another week.  We saw them examine their home refrigerators/pantries and go out to eat with their families and friends.  They were faced with all the delicious, good-but-bad foods they ate before participating in the show.  You could see how conflicted they were, and how they wondered if just one meal or one bit would really make a difference.

And yet somehow they knew it would.  They all chose to eat the right things, even to go as far as instructing the weight staff on how they wanted their foods prepared.  At their homes, they discussed with family members about what things should be in their kitchens and what shouldn't.  And they worked out every day, without the help of their trainers on the ranch. At the weigh-in, they had all lost the requisite amount of weight to stay on another week.

I couldn't help but be impressed by their resolve.  Somehow they have gotten it into their heads that this way of eating is now their lifelong way of eating.  And as I was chowing down on my fried feast, I couldn't help but wish that I could get whatever it is that changed them and ingest it so I could be like them.

Oh, I know it may not last for them.  I know there's more to it than just this one incidence.  I know how hard it is to keep it up, as evidenced by my own personal ups and downs with Weight Watchers.  I know how you lose the weight, think that somehow you've been miraculously cured, and then go right back to the atrocious food habits that got you in trouble in the first place. But I want this time to be different.  I want that change that will be lifelong.  I know that part of it is admitting that I just can't eat the way I used to (just like there are more and more things that I can't do the way I used to).

I've been reading a lot of blogs lately written by women who are making strides in their weight loss battle.  One thing I've noticed on several is the theory of "30 seconds."  These women talk about how they lose weight - 30 seconds at a time.  I think it's worth doing - waiting 30 seconds to eat that candy bar because maybe in that 30 seconds, my brain will kick in and overrule that candy bar eating thought.  Maybe by waiting 30 seconds I can make wise food decisions or decisions about exercising.  Maybe 30 seconds is the number to focus on instead of the number of pounds I want to lose. 

Another great idea I've seen is this one, where you have two jars - one with the amount of weight you want to lose and one with the amount of weight you've lost.  Maybe a good visual, maybe even that much needed motivation in a jar? 

Stay tuned - we'll see how these new ideas work out!!
************************************************************************
The Good Stuff From Today:  Kathy A's generous donation to the 3-Day; Everley time at her house; brief visit from Molly and Micaela

No comments: