Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Reality Check #2

Hello!!  I am not a young whipper-snapper anymore.  As much as I try to deny that fact, sometimes it comes back to bite me - usually in various places on my aging body.  This week, it's been my aging back.

Last Friday I helped Sam tote half a recliner down his stairs and into his car.  Granted, it was old-lady style, meaning I have a tendency to fall down stairs, so I have to take it one step at a time.  Which probably meant Sam's brains were about to explode out his ears because of the hours it was taking to haul the half-recliner down the stairs, possibly causing him to consider tossing both the half-recliner and the whole-yet-old mother over the railing.  But eventually we made it down the stairs and out to the car. 

I'm not saying that the moving caused the issue, but on Saturday, my back started complaining.  Now back in the day, when my back was young and supple, I could move anything.  And I did.  I'm not staying that years of back abuse caused my current back problems, but it probably hasn't helped.  Anyhow, because my back was voicing some concerns, Molly and I decided against an IKEA run and opted for pedicures instead.

I thought I was on the mend until yesterday when sometime between bagging my groceries at Kroger and arriving back home, my back went into full-fledged hissy fit mode.  After I pulled into the carport, my back suggested that I spend the rest of the day in the car, not moving.  Somehow I cajoled it into getting out of the car, getting the sack of perishables out of the car, and slowly moving into the house and depositing said perishables into the refrigerator.  I then deposited my body on the couch and texted various family members that tonight's dinner menu for Lindley's birthday had changed from spaghetti to Papa Johns, and from homemade cupcakes to somebody-go-get-some cupcakes. 

I did not move from the couch for the rest of the night (even during the birthday festivities) until everyone had left.  I managed to hoist myself from my seated position, and with my hands on Steve's shoulders, made it to the bed, where Steve had the heating pad on and ready.

It wouldn't be so bad, except that I have sort of a busy week ahead, and I'm hoping that the promise of a cruise will convince my back to loosen up.  Maybe if I promise that the only lifting I will be doing will be the drink of the day?
*******************************************************************
The Good Stuff From Today:  Lindley and Everley time; Lindley's birthday party; Steve helping me with my back troubles; Molly's bathroom reno discussions

No comments: