Friday, December 7, 2012

Stories From The Return Line

Today I was in the return line with some purchases that I had decided needed to go back to the store.  It's always interesting to hear what goes on there.  Today's stories included:
  • Some lady with a small TV/remote/manuals but no packing and/or box it came in.  While I could not hear the entire conversation (though not for lack of trying) I think it had something to do with a warranty.  After some discussion, she left, taking all her electronic equipment with her.
  • Some lady switching out blinds.  Which was probably an easy transaction, had the clerk in charge not been a distant relative of Ebenezer Scrooge.  I think she was also allergic to smiling and happiness.  Luckily for the blinds lady, Ms. Grumpy's shift was over and a pleasant clerk took over.  Blinds lady went home with coverings for her windows.
  • Some lady who parked next to me, returned her whatevers, and was headed back to her car with new purchases at the same time as I returned to my car.  Clearly a successful shopping trip for her!
But my favorite was the lady behind me, talking on her cell phone.  It was not hard to hear her conversation since (a) she was right behind me, and (b) she was talking loud enough for the entire store to hear her.  She started out by telling her phone buddy about all the cortisones she was on/given at the doctor - creams, shots, pills, and probably a drink.  She then proceeded to discuss how she had never had something like this before (to which I wanted to turn around and look, but it's hard trying to keep track of so many stories happening around you).  Then she and her phone buddy started talking about lunch, because Ms. Cortisone then said that she would be glad to pick up some food for her, but she didn't want to touch it, because as she said (and this is a direct quote), "This shit is contagious!"  Certainly not the words you want to hear from someone directly behind you in line.  She followed it up with some talk about poison oak, which may have been true or some crowd damage control, lest she find herself in a crowd of one. 

It was time for my return transaction, so my brain became otherwise occupied, and Corti went over to cash a check (and ask where the pharmacy was, I would guess to get the various cortisone creams and lotions and whatevers that she had been prescribed).  I hope she cashed her check, picked up food for her friend, and got the medicinal relief that she needed.

I also hope I don't get whatever she had ...
***************************************************************************
The Good Stuff From Today:  bed delivery; Lindley time; Costco lunch and shopping with Molly; Sonic delivery from Sam; TV watching with Lindley and Lynnette in the guest room

No comments: