Thursday, December 27, 2012

Looking Forward

As 2012 is coming quickly to a close, I am prone to think about the things I want to do in the new year (okay, so maybe one might call them "resolutions").  It's easy to say I'm going to do something - in the new year.  Just as soon as January 1 gets here.  But all that really means is that I don't want to start doing whatever it is NOW.

For instance, I want to eat better.  You know, not eat so/too much, make healthy choices, eschew the bad stuff, blah, blah, blah.  I want to start doing that on January 1.  Not today when I went through Wendy's and got the meal deal, complete with french fries.

I want to exercise and jog on a regular basis.  Just not today.  Because if I did it today, it would get into my french-fry eating time.  But come January 1, I'm going to do it.  Really.

I want to clean my house and do stuff like mop the kitchen floor and clean the baseboards before they both get so dirty I forget what color they are.  But not today - I'm just not even going to look at them, hence not having to notice how dirty they might be.  But come January 1, that floor and those baseboards are going to be gleaming.  Honestly.

I could keep going on and on, but you and I both know the real story.  If I can't start it tomorrow (or even now), chances are that the date of 1-1-13 won't make any difference.  So why wait?  Why not start right away?  Why not take Nike's advice and just do it?  As in just do it NOW!  You know, like a week before the official "do it" day of January 1.

Maybe I will.  I just need to learn to kick myself in the pants to get and keep me going.
**********************************************************************
The Good Stuff From Today:  writing project done; a little more cleaning complete; new rugs purchased; couch and chair delivery and delivery dudes; car wash personnel

No comments: