Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Reason To Be At Disney World

Today is Election Day.  It's also my brother's birthday, but I think election day is overshadowing that event.  It's a day that will decide a hotly contested Presidential race, and that's just according to my friends on facebook.  No matter the outcome, there will be disappointment and consternation - most of which I will ignore on facebook. 

I did my part.  I voted a few weeks ago.  At the time, it didn't occur to me that I wouldn't be in town on election day.  Maribeth had just suggested we go vote, and it seemed like a good idea, so I did.  Now I'm glad I did, because I did my civic duty - privilege - and voted.

So today on election day, I am at the Magic Kingdom at Disney World.  I am in a world where there is imagination and happiness and the focus of "It's a Small World After All."  Sure, it's not really real.  Every family that I see has a myriad of problems that they face back home in the real world.  Every family will have to deal with the outcome of today's election.  But for today, just for a little while, we can all put the rhetoric and verbal attacks and opinions and predictions out of our minds for a bit and enjoy this imaginary life in this imaginary world.

Nope, Disney World isn't the real world.  We can't all get along no matter our differences.  We can't all help each other out, even if it's finding a stroller parking place or letting someone ahead of us in line, or just smiling at the family whose toddler is in the middle of a meltdown.  Or can we?

Today is election day.  I hope if you have the privilege, you voted.  And no matter the outcome, whether you are satisfied or disappointed, I hope you remember that it is really a small world after all.  We are all in this together, so let's start acting like it.
***********************************************************
The Good Stuff from Today:  Disney-ing with Maribeth and Everley

1 comment:

Denise in PA said...

Hear, Hear! Have a great time with the Mouse and Happy Birthday to your brother!