Monday, October 8, 2012

And Then There's Another One

When I started doing the Komen 3-Day Walks, I really didn't know many people who had breast cancer.  Sure, I obviously knew about breast cancer, and I learned a lot on that walk, as well as meeting many breast cancer survivors.  But I mainly did that first walk because I wanted a new challenge - little did I know that I had a new purpose.

With each walk, I found that I began to know more and more people with breast cancer.  First it was my friend Emily.  Then it was Joey's wife.  Then it was my Aunt Laura.  Then it was friends who gave me names of their loved ones with breast cancer.  I've even made cyber-friends with survivors like Mary, who has donated to two separate walks.  This summer it was my sister Marilyn.  And today I found out that breast cancer has found its way to a young mother named Amanda, a friend of my daughter, Molly.

The good news is that great strides are being made in the fight against this disease.  My hope and prayer is that one day soon I will see a cure and this disease will become one that will be diagnosed, treated, and cured.  Until then, I'll keep walking, because Emily, Aunt Laura, Mary, Marilyn, Amanda, and too many others have too much more to do in this life than fight breast cancer. 
***********************************************************************
The Good Stuff From Today:  Bill and Hughes hanging hooks and cabinets, and tearing out the counters and Steve's bathroom; Steve bringing burgers home for dinner

No comments: