Thursday, August 16, 2012

Times Change ... And I'm Glad I'm Past It!

Back in the day when I gave birth to my first child, there was a labor room, a delivery room, a delivery table, stirrups, nurses, and an OB-GYN in full dress.  It was pretty much the same routine with the second baby, and when number three arrived, it was in a labor room that was also the delivery room.  There was no delivery table, just a bed where the bottom dropped out and instead of stirrups I was supposed to hold onto my knees (as if I could reach them).  Steve didn't have to change into a hazmat suit and soon as the doctor left, the nurse asked me if I wanted to go ahead and take a shower - to which I replied no, I would prefer to take a nap.

Since the birth of my two granddaughters, I realize that things have changed a little more (although I wasn't actually a part of the delivery experience, I watch "A Baby Story" and Lynnette and Maribeth's stories seemed to go along with those basic story lines).

However, I am glad that I have not evolved to the point where Josie Maran is. Apparently she gave birth in her backyard in a kiddie swimming pool.  While her daughter skipped around, picked flowers, and passed out cookies.

I'm happy that she got to have the birth experience that she wanted and that worked for her.  I'm just glad I'm past all that.  I mean, it was enough for me to worry about that my legs were shaved in time for the big event - but to make sure the grass was mowed, too?  Way to much pressure for this girl!

****************************************************************************
Today's blessings:  Pancake Pantry with KB; quiet morning nap; floor leveling done; telephone chat with Marilyn; Everley and Lindley time; Steve's turkey burgers on the grill

No comments: