Wednesday, May 16, 2012

What Can You Really Do Without?

I always like it when I can steal an idea for a blog post from somebody else.  Today I've noticed a few links where people list the top ten or more things they can do without.  I started thinking about all the things I could do without - but refuse to do without.  Herein lies my dilemma - if I can do without them (and probably would do better without them), when why don't I do without them?  Good question!

So, in my unending attempt to get my dookey together, I decided to make a list of things that not only can I do without, but will now attempt to do without.  It's going to be a small list - mainly because I really want it to work.

1.  Watching TV 24 hours a day.  Okay, so maybe I don't watch it that much, but I do watch it a lot.  I watch it when I am doing stuff around the house because I like the distraction.  I watch it when I want to take a nap because it occupies my brain so that it is lulled into sleep.  (Note to family - this does not count the hours spent watching Rapunzel with Lindley - that would be Lindley time which is exempt from any rules).  Anyhow, I figure I will limit myself to a max of 3 hours a day.  That gets in prime time or a movie.  And perhaps a few of my brain cells will regenerate.  Oh, and there will be no rollover minutes.

2.  Eating food just because it is available in my kitchen.  Perhaps this could be a roadblock in my never-ending weight loss plan?  Here's the deal:  It is mealtime (somewhere in the world) and I decide that it is time to eat.  I go to my kitchen in search of food and end up eating junk that is there, rather than try to create a healthy, edible meal.  Last night I had some kind of pita/dip frozen food thing that was in the freezer (wasn't a fan but I ate it anyway), followed by pretzels with my own dip of mayo/ketchup/mustard, followed by a rather inedible burger (broiled and then put on a stale bun).  Instead I should have taken the time and fixed something yummy.  Perhaps that would have prevented my inhaling the chocolate Kisses that someone left on the counter.  So, I will now attempt to make a meal rather than just eat what's there.  This is going to involve a trip to the dreaded grocery store ...

3.  Excuses, excuses, excuses.  Making is excuses is one of my greatest talents.  I don't push myself when working out/wogging because I am afraid of injuring myself/I am tired/it is hot/it is cold/it is raining somewhere in the world.  I don't thoroughly clean/pick up/organize my house because I have something else I have to do (like next week or next month or next year).  I don't do (fill in the blank) because (fill in another blank).  This madness must end!  Therefore, I shall put forth new effort and energy into doing and not excusing.  Wish me luck!

This list was much harder than I thought because of the "can do without, so do without" theory.  But maybe if I get these three under my belt, I can keep the forward motion into doing more.

Now, what to do since the TV is off - clean or cook?  At least I'm up to date on the blogging front!!
*******************************************************************
Today's blessings:  Mathieu, Maribeth, and Everley's safe travel to Wyoming; working out with KB at the park; picking up Lindley at school and going to the park; Bill Crocs moving the fence; tree dude planning for tree work in yard

No comments: