Wednesday, April 25, 2012

People, Papers, and Perspective

Around town, individuals who are homeless sell "The Contributor" as a way to make money.  These people usually have a designated location where they sell the paper and are usually out several days a week selling these papers.  I admit that sometimes I get tired of having the paper waved at me as I pass by, and think insensitive thoughts wondering if there might be a better job for them.  In other words, I stopped looking at the people and just concentrated on the paper.

That all changed this morning as I was leaving my neighborhood McDonald's.  The usual paper seller was at the exit, holding up his paper for sale.  I started to cast my usual judgemental glance at him, and was blessed to witness the following exchange.  A man walked past the paper seller.  This man was obviously homeless and down on his luck.  He was unkempt and looked a little tired.  As he walked past, the paper seller pulled out a dollar bill and gave it to this man.  The man took it and headed into McDonald's.

I don't know if the two men knew each other.  But I did see a hard working man share some of what he made by giving it to someone who seemed worse off than himself. 

It wasn't the paper - it was the person.  It's amazing what you see when you have the right perspective.  
 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ "   Matthew 25:31
****************************************************************************
Today's blessings:  working out with KB in the park; getting Everley's passport picture; picking up lunch with MB and E

No comments: