Thursday, January 19, 2012

3 Days In September In San Francisco

Some of you may be getting a letter from me next week asking you to be a part of the Susan G. Komen 3-Day that I'm doing in San Francisco in September.  Some of you may not get it - because I don't have your address or you've already donated (thanks Kat and Sarah!).  In any case, I thought I would just go ahead and post some of the forthcoming letter (for some of you) here - just in case you want to donate or join me via the web.  And if you do, and get the letter anyhow, feel free to pass it along to someone else!!

Anyhow, here goes, with a lot more information than the actual letter:

Dear Friends,
I really didn’t think I’d ever walk another Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the cure.  But breast cancer hasn’t been cured.  Without a cure, one woman is diagnosed with breast cancer every two minutes in the U.S.  That statistic is too high, so the fight goes on.  This year I’ll walk 60 more miles to help create a future without breast cancer, because everybody deserves a lifetime.  


My first 3-Day was in Atlanta with my friend Emily.  I walked and she crewed as a nurse.  I was usually passed out in the tent when she came in for the night, and I think she had already left to pop blisters and pass out band aids by the time I woke up for the next day.  That year it rained one night and got below freezing the next night.  But it was an incredible experience, to see the survivors walking, the many signs of encouragement along the way, and the remembrances of those who had lost their fight against this disease.  I felt that this was a once-in-a-lifetime experience that I would never forget.


And I never did, especially the year I turned 50.  I decided that I wanted to do something significant for my 50th birthday.  Sure enough, there was a 3-Day that was being held on my birthday weekend that year in the Twin Cities.  My daughter-in-law Lynnette said she would do it with me, so we trained all that summer for 60 miles and 3 days in Minnesota.  We walked through beautiful parks and sat on Jody's couch - a couch that Jody was going to give to a niece, but died from breast cancer before she could.  Jody's family carried that couch in a van and would set it out at different places during the day along the route so walkers could sit for a rest.  We celebrated stories of survivors and mourned those who had been lost.  Again, I was given the blessing of being a part of such a moving weekend. 


I thought I was probably done with the 3-Day until my sister Marilyn mentioned that she would like to do one.  Even though she is a nurse, she wanted to be a walker rather than a part of the crew.  Even though she lives in Baltimore, we decided to do it together, and train (we needn't talk about how that went) on the same days.  We signed up for the last walk of the year in San Diego and met up at the San Diego airport to begin our weekend.  Marilyn learned about sleeping in a tiny tent, showering in a semi, and finding the port-potty in the dark.  But we also saw the incredible support and love that this weekend can bring (this is the best way to show you).


This year I will be walking in my fourth 3-Day. Five friends (including my daughter Molly) will be walking with me and our team, Udderly Pink.  It’s a first for everyone else, and I’m honored that they want to experience this unforgettable event with me.  We’ll be travelling to San Francisco in September where we’ll walk 20 miles a day for three days, we’ll sleep in tents for two nights, and we’ll shower in trucks and use porta-potties for bathrooms.  We’ll also hear so many precious stories from survivors and about others who have been lost to this disease.   It will be an unforgettable chance to remember those we've lost and celebrate those who have won their personal fights with this disease. Every moment will be a memory that will never be forgotten. We’d love to have you join us too! Register as a walker on our team or as a volunteer – it’s a weekend like no other!

It would be great if you would support this effort in the fight to end breast cancer. Any donation will be appreciated and is tax deductible. This 60-mile walk over the course of three days raises funds for breast cancer research and community programs. All you need do to donate is click here. You can also join our team online – we’d love to have you as a member of Udderly Pink!

I do have one last request. I would be honored to walk in honor or memory of someone special in your life who has been affected by breast cancer. If you would simply leave a name or names in the comments, I will proudly display that name during the 3-Day and also during the breast cancer half-marathon I will be doing as part of the 26.2 with Donna on February 12 in Jacksonville.

Thank you so much for your support as together we raise funds in the battle to end breast cancer. You’ll be with me every step in San Francisco!


***************************************************************************
Today's blessings: 4.4 miles with KB; Factory lunch with Maribeth; Molly visit; Maribeth's house progress

No comments: