Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Now THAT Was Wicked Good!

When I was little, "The Wizard of Oz" came on every Easter (highly appropriate movie for that holiday, don't you think - yeah, me neither). I hate the movie. It was scary and there was a mean, ugly witch, and there was a dog that a mean lady took away, and there were lots of scary things. To this day, I do not watch the movie, except the part where Judy Garland sings "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."

So, even though "Wicked" is on everybody's Best Musical lists, I hadn't seen it. I knew it was about Glinda the Good Witch and the Wicked Witch, but since I scary-hated the Wicked Witch, I had very little motivation to see it. Except for the fact that it was on everybody's Best Musical lists.

Tonight I saw it with Lynnette, Maribeth, and Karen. And I thought it was great. Maybe it's because I kept imagining Kristen Chenoweth an Idina Menzel in the lead roles. Maybe it's because the songs were fabulous. Maybe it's because the costumes and set designs were totally awesome. Maybe it's because I saw it with people I really like.

But I really think it's because it showed another side of a story that I hated. It showed me how things could look differently, if I knew the whole story. It showed me that happy endings can exist and things may not always be as they seem.

I still hate the movie and won't watch it. But that's okay, because I know the other side of the story - and it's a good one!!
************************************************************************************
Today's blessings: taking care of medals; Wal-mart shopping; Wicked with the girls; Steve's safe travel home; two slow miles in the neighborhood

2 comments:

Karen said...

Ha Ha! I only own 4 movies and the Wizard of Oz is one of them!!! I've never opened it but, as a kid, it came on every Christmas and I LOVED it! (Except for the Munchkins . . . now THEY scare the you know what outta me)
My other 3 movies are nice ones though (Finding Neverland, Fried Green Tomatoes and Shirley Valentine)

Luanne said...

Wizard of Oz will never darken my door - tooooo scary!! But I LOVE the other three, particularly if you add Calendar Girls and Saving Grace (maybe I have a wee bit of English blood in me?)