Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Good, The Bad, and The Whatevs ...

It started off with what was supposed to be a day full of thunderstorms and heavy rain and wind. But when I got up, it was just cloudy. So, I decided to go for a wog. I started with a jog, then walked, then decided to jog again. I was jogging next to the lake and about to pass a tourist taking a picture, so I decided to move closer to the railing. There was a teeny-tiny drop-off (and by teeny-tiny, I mean an ant would say, "What drop-off?"). As soon as my ankle caught wind of the drop-off, it decided to do its little twisty number, and there I went - all 750 pounds down on my ankle (bad). The good news is that since I was next to the railing, I didn't go down on the ground. The bad news is that it was the same ankle that I turned a month or so ago.

Immediately after I do this, the pain is so intense that I want to throw up. Generally, I just stand/lie there reciting all the curse words I know, or might think of as curse words. Usually I am alone, but this time the lady that I was intending to pass was right there - horrified at this roly-poly lady who was grappling the railing like Sweet Charity looking for a date. She kept asking if she could help, and I (while lolling my head about like Steve Wonder) kept saying no, that I would be fine, that there was a bench a few feet away, and that eventually I could get there. She asked if she could help me, to which I replied no, that I would eventually get there, that it made me madder than anything else, a reply that she probably thought was perhaps the dumbest thing she ever heard. Eventually, probably concerned about her safety, she wandered away and I made it to the bench. I still had a little ways to wobble back to our room, so after the knives in my ankle subsided, I limped back to our room.

Today was our day to change hotels, another long story and is not worth telling, at least not on today's blog. So, I managed to shower and pack up stuff, and then limp to the car with Steve and Maribeth. We got checked in to our new hotel, and our room was ready (good!). We got a bell hop to bring our various bags (think suitcases, Disney shopping bags, a McDonald's Happy Meal Halloween container, a plastic container holding our road trip snacks, Steve's pool bag, our computer bags, Maribeth's backpack, and Steve's pool cooler (good!). Naturally, our room was located at the far regions of the resort, so Maribeth and I wandered (I mostly stepped/dragged) for a few miles until we arrived at our room, which is by the pool (good, unless people plan to swim late at night and have loud wild parties).

Anyhoo, where was Steve? Well, as soon as I realized that we would need some tip money for Bell Boy, I also realized that I had left my billfold in the safe at hotel numero uno (bad). So, since Steve's driving foot was not the size of a basketball (that would be MY driving foot), he had to return to the other hotel to retrieve my billfold. This would probably have been really bad for him, except for the fact that we are on the very golf course where the PGA golf tournament is being held, and he was excited (like Christmas morning excited) about seeing the caddies measure stuff on the course, and all the pro golfers, and all golf stuff like that.

So, the rest of the day has been spent icing the foot, propping up the foot, taking Excedrin, watching TV, limping, and whatevs. I love vacation!!
***************************************************************************************
Today's blessings: Lady trying to help my and my floppy ankle; new room being ready; Shades of Green resort

1 comment:

Denise in PA said...

Bummer about your foot - ouch!! I hope it feels better soon! I am always afraid I'm going to leave my money in the room safe!