Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Question of Talent ...

Today as I was working on yet another "project," I realized that much of what I've done in life has to do with very little ability and/or talent. For instance:

1. Playing the piano. I took lessons for nine years and two different teachers. While I can possibly play a simple tune, I never quite moved over to that "wow, that's beautiful music you're making there," stage.

2. Twirling the baton. I took some lessons and was a majorette in high school. I still have my baton. I twirled knives once, but I never quite mastered the double spin toss (or whatever it was called).

3. Playing the saxophone. I was in the school band for six years. I was in the concert band and stage band, and even had a solo in a concert once, but I never managed to riff like the cool sax players.

4. Sewing. I grew up with my mother making most of my clothes. My father taught me how to use the sewing machine. I spent an entire semester sewing in 8th grade home economics (hey - this was back in the dark ages) where not only did you have to make your own dress, but then had to wear your creation to school. I still know how to use the sewing machine - but some of my "creations" might make the casual observer wonder about that fact.

5. Foot races. I've wogged 120 races from 2.3 miles to 26.2 miles. In my first race, my niece Lucy and I were dead last. In most of the races, I usually am one of the "back of the pack-ers" and proud of it. But I have finished every race I started. We'll just leave off the races I entered but never actually made it to the start line.

So there you go. Just a short list of things that I can do, but not necessarily do well. It's probably due to lack of practice, lack of effort, and loads of lazy. I probably could list more, but there are more important things to do.

Maybe I'll go sew a wogging outfit, find a piano and saxophone and record a tune for my race playlist, and practice my baton twirling so I can be the "baton-twirling jogger". Better late than never?

**********************************************************************************
Today's blessings: Molly returning to butt camp; lunch with Maribeth and Molly; Molly's potato soup for dinner; final details for Warrior Dash complete

2 comments:

Denise in PA said...

I hear ya' Luanne - same here!

Luanne said...

Denise - I know!!! And yet, I keep on doing "projects"!! To heck with talent!!

Your vacay is getting closer!!! HAVE FUN!!!