Sunday, September 11, 2011

I Remember

I was sitting in an early morning teachers' meeting, waiting for stragglers to come in. One teacher came in to tell us the news, and a teacher with family in New York City left to call them. We watched and listened on the classroom television until we finally had to tear ourselves away to go to our rooms to receive our students and attempt to explain to them what was going on. I arrived in my classroom just in time to turn on the television and see the second tower being hit, at first thinking it was a rerun, only to realize the tragic gravity of the situation.

We all remember where we were and the images we saw. We remember the stories and the people and the absolute incredulity of what we were witnessing. Ten years later I am still compelled to see the same images and then hear of how life has changed for so many who were there or had loved ones there. For some, life continues and for others, life stopped somewhere during these last ten years.

Tonight as I was watching one of the many television programs, I heard one comment from someone who basically said that while it was a horrible tragedy, we should celebrate the generosity and humanity of all those who lost their lives trying to save others.

I guess what I take from that is to do my best in the world to help a fellow traveler on this earth. Because in the end, a life spent trying to make someone's life a little better, or a little easier, or a little happier, that caring life is never lost. That life goes on in the lives of those helped and those who hear about it. The caring just keeps going. That's the kind of life that can live forever.

***************************************************************************************
Today's blessings: Cinnamon rolls breakfast and spending the day with the family; Michaels shopping with Maribeth

No comments: