Sunday, July 31, 2011

Brain Ruts

A few years ago, a friend told me all about brain ruts. It's when you're so used to thinking a certain way, or behaving a certain way, or doing things a certain way, that you don't always realize that that same old way is harmful to your happiness and well being. I took her advice to heart and managed to get out of some of those ruts, and it was quite freeing.

However, lately it seems that I've gotten back mired down by some of the same old ruts, and maybe even some new ones. Just like when you get your car tires stuck in the mud or snow, it's pretty darn frustrating. It's the last place you want to be, but it sure is hard to get out.

Eventually you do get out (I've never heard of anyone staying in a mud patch or snowbank and setting up house). Sometimes you have to jump up and down on the back of the car to get it out (I'm from the South - we do that down here). Sometimes you have to put something under the rear tire to give it some traction (and don't even get me started about the things I've heard people put under that tire). Sometimes you have to push and pull and push some more (hopefully with some friends that helped get you in that mess). And sometimes you just have to call AAA who comes with a tow truck to save the day.

It's time for me to get out of some of my brain ruts. It will probably involve making some changes (and I can already hear my family thinking, "what the crap is she going to do now?"). I don't know what they'll be or how or when they will happen. I know it will not be an easy road - there will probably be a lot of pushing and pulling and jumping up and down. I may even call for a tow truck or two for some help.

But I'm eventually going to pull out of these current brain ruts. There's just too much road to cover and adventures to experience to sit in a rut by the side of the road.

*******************************************************************************************
Today's blessings: Picking up Lindley and her parents at the airport; an hour with Jena at ME; afternoon time with Lindley, Sam, and Lynnette; talking to cardboard recycle dude;figuring out the embroidery machine with Molly; Steve cooking pork chops for dinner

No comments: