Friday, June 24, 2011

Lost and Found

I rarely lose things. I simply put them in safe places and forget where those safe places are. Sometimes I find the safe place and the thing that was once thought of as lost, but by that time I've forgotten that it was lost, so it's sort of like finding a treasure.

Sometimes my cell phone sprouts legs and wanders off. This is the only time that I miss our land line - I could call my cell phone and verify it's whereabouts. But eventually it shows - it's usually with my keys and/or wallet.

But today is about finding things.

A few months ago, I misplaced my checkbook. I knew it was somewhere around the house or Maribeth's house or Molly's house, because those are the only places where I write checks. But nobody seemed to know where it was - including me. Since I had other pads of checks, it didn't thwart my check-writing abilities. In fact, I wrote checks out of two check pads - imagine my check register - #3789 followed by #3904 followed by #3776. But not to worry, because my checkbook showed up the other day - in Maribeth's car. I guess it was trying to run away.

Many, many months ago, Maribeth had been using my car while I was out of town. Upon my return home and to the use of my car, I noticed a Target gift card in the console storage place. I let it ride around town with me for awhile, then became concerned for its safety. My family members tend to claim stuff that just sits around. So, I decided to put it in a safe place. And promptly forgot where that place was. This wouldn't have been a big deal, except that the card belonged to Maribeth. She would ask about it from time to time, but still that little piece of information as to the card's whereabouts refused to budge from the recesses of my pea brain. Until tonight when I got out my sewing basket bag. There inside, along with a valentine from butt camp, was the aforementioned card. I called Maribeth, told her I found it, and then told her where I was putting it for safekeeping. I think I woke her up, so we'll see who remembers it tomorrow.

Finally, tonight during my sewing activity, I dropped a straight pin on the rug. Normally I would wait for my bare foot to find it, but since Lindley also likes travelling around the house, I thought it a better idea to find it before she did. I got down on the floor and looked around. At first I didn't see it, but I kept at it. I found other stuff like Cheerios and other unmentionable stuff, but no pin. I considered giving up, but decided to look a little longer - and I found it.

So, what's the moral of today's musings? Maybe it's that what's lost can be found. Maybe it's that what's lost isn't always a matter of dire importance. Maybe it's just that stuff gets lost and stuff gets found, and when it matches up, it's a good thing.
**************************************************************************************
Today's blessings: last day of butt camp for this session, zumba, and girl exercise-bonding; clearance shopping with Molly; Red Robin burgers with Molly and nice waitress; tickets and 5K registrations for Wine and Dine; CPK dinner and visit with Lynnette, Sam, Lindley, Molly, and Steve; chatting with Maribeth on the phone; completing shirt project

No comments: