Tuesday, April 12, 2011

And Down The Mountain I Went

Today Maribeth and I ventured from the ship to do an "excursion." I hadn't been on one since Marilyn and I decided to tour a port in Mexico and ended up eating lunch in somebody's redecorated hen house.

Anyhow, Maribeth picked for us to go on a "hike in the rainforest." I envisioned a pleasant stroll through a picturesque landscape. I envisioned wrong.

The first part was swell. We boarded a new bus and traveled through the 3-inch wide streets to get to our destination - something having to do with a sugar cane plantation that was private property that was being turned into a rain forest. Once there, we were given instructions. First we had to pick our "stick" which would be our walking stick. Next we had to board our "bus" which consisted of benches and rope sides. We then had a vertical climb - about a gillion miles - to our starting point, the top of some mountain.

Our pleasant stroll consisted of going down the mountain via a "path." Said path consisted of rocks, roots, and all sorts of flora and fauna, one of which would sting you worse than a jellyfish, unless somebody peed on you. Good to know. If I hadn't been looking so hard at my feet so I wouldn't trip/slip/fall on the rocks/roots/flora/fauna, I would have been looking for the prickly plant, or at least drinking enough water so I would have plenty of remedy should I get bit by the prickly plant.

Anyhow, our little band of hikers finally managed to get down the mountain - me with my ankle braces, the lawyer girl with the leg brace, the granny with the knee braces, and the rest of the crew. Once at the bottom of the mountain, we were given fruit juice and led to the "facilities." You had a choice between "Sitters" or "Standers," based on your urination habits. I chose to wait until I returned to my stateroom.

Tomorrow we have no excursion planned. Thank goodness - I didn't want to have to preserve my tinkle for another day.
======================================================================
Today's blessings: Hiking with Maribeth; Palo with Steve, Molly, Maribeth, Mathieu, and Sylvester

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

I do remember the hen house- fond, fun memories. I think Wal-mart was the highlight of that excursion. Happy cruising!