Friday, February 11, 2011

Number 2

This weekend I am in Jacksonville for The National Marathon to Finish Breast Cancer weekend. I am planning to do the 5K tomorrow and the half-marathon on Sunday. And no, I haven't been training as I should. However, my lack of training is not what this blog is about.

Today when Steve and I went to the race expo (Steve is doing the 5K also), we went to the 5K table to pick up our numbers. Steve gave the volunteer our names, the volunteer looked up our numbers, and it turned out that my number is 2. **A 2, as in the number coming just after 1.** A 2 is a number that I've never personally known anybody to get, unless he/she has been training in Colorado for the upcoming Olympic trials. People with a 2 on their bib usually weigh about as much as my left leg.

The volunteer suggested that I must have signed up just as soon as I could, which is true. He obviously did not think that I got a 2 because of my lightening speed. I think we all agreed that the numbers were assigned according to when you signed up.

But for a moment, I knew what it was like to be an elite runner. I had a twinge of a feeling that I was the #2 runner, only slightly slower than #1. And frankly, it felt pretty darn cool.
_______________________________________________________________________
Today's blessings: race expo and giveaways; new Fut Glove shoes; dinner at Kitty's with Kitty, Ray, and Steve; lunch at Barbara Jean's; sunny day

No comments: