Saturday, November 13, 2010

Saturday Near The Park

Disney Parks, that is. Today was Day 3 of the Children's Miracle Network Golf Tournament, held on the golf courses that are so close to the Magic Kingdom, you can hear the train whistle. It's quite magical - at least to me. Maybe not so much to the golfers that I follow as part of my Golf Channel audio gig.

Today I followed three young golfers (the oldest is 31). My job is to stick a microphone as close as possible without getting in the camera shot or the golfer's golf shot. The problem is when the two goals conflict, as when the golfers/caddies snottily ask me to give them some more room and the Golf Channel Dude in the control booth is screaming at me through the earphone to "GET CLOSER, GET CLOSER!!" At that point I can only think of one thing to do with the furry microphone - to everybody involved. But I don't - I just step away and/or back and/or closer and endure the rolled eyes and deep sighs.

There were moments today when I wanted to quit. But I didn't, because the perks are too good. I get to hang with the Golf Channel crew and see the backstage goings-on. I get a free lunch. I get to see some golf pros up close and personal. For four days work, I get three rounds of golf and two one-day park hopper passes.

But I think the best perk are the friends I have made. Several are people I met for the first time last year and who remember me. Others are new this year. We are exchanging emails and facebook pages. We share stories and interests and plans. For four days we're family, and for that, I'll take some random eye rolls and deep sighs.
_________________________________________________________________________
Today's blessings: Another day with my GC volunteers; GC lunch spread; seeing Steve and George on the course; finishing early; chocolate decadence at Ghiradelli; pretzel at Wentzels

No comments: