Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Just Call Me Kate

Earlier this summer, much was hyped about Kate Gosselin's diva departure from camping with Sarah Palin. While I cannot stand Ms. Gosselin since she decided to place being a celebrity over being a mother, I have to admit it - on the camping thing, I get it. Here's why:

A few months ago, in anticipation of our trip to Disney World for my volunteering stint for The Children's Miracle Network golf tournament, Steve got a special deal on a Disney hotel. The "hotel" in question was the Cabins at Fort Wilderness.

This seemed like a fun idea. I hope to be able to say I have stayed at every Disney World resort and Fort Wilderness was on my "to do" list. I have puttered my way through the campground on a segway tour and have seen the actual campground (which I would never consider doing in either a tent or camper/RV). I have even seen the outside of the cabins. But since I have never actually stayed in the cabins, I thought this would be a prime opportunity to knock this resort off my list.

I lasted 3 hours.

First of all, it wasn't Disney's or Fort Wildnerness's fault. The cast members were nice, the campgrounds were campground-y, and the cabin was clean and neat. There was only one problem - us. We are not campers - in any sense of the word. We want big beds (in the bedroom there was a full bed and a bunkbed - we sleep in a king-size). Steve kept referring to the cabin as a FEMA trailer (as in, "New Orleans called - they want the trailer back"), even though the outside was covered with "logs" and looked very cabin-ish. There was a Murphy bed in the living room, a full kitchen, and a big tv (meaning a 1990's tube tv). In short, it was a cabin, and apparently we don't do cabins.

So, Steve went down to the registration building (don't even get me started about the bus system in the campground - very efficient, but very not us) and explained our dainty ways to the cast member. He called all the resorts at Disney World and found us lodging at Coronado Springs, another resort on my list, now to be crossed off. We are now happily in one room with two queen beds, a flat-screen tv, and plenty of room. Disney pulled through and delivered.

Today I learned I am not a cabin person. I also learned that just because I think someone is a horrible excuse for a person, I can still empathize. But mostly I learned that you don't have to stay where you don't want to be - especially if you have a hubby who will take care of business for you!
_______________________________________________________________________
Today's blessings: Safe, smooth, quick flight; brief visit at Fort Wilderness Cabins; Disney cast members; Red Lobster with Steve; downtown Disney shopping; Coronado Springs new room

No comments: