Monday, November 8, 2010

For? Fore? Four? Faux?

Tomorrow I am headed to Disney World for The Children's Miracle Network Classic golf tournament. No, I'm not competing. I'm going to be a volunteer with The Golf Channel. Quit laughing.

I did this last year. At the end of our four-day stint, we were asked to sign up if we wanted to do it again. I did. I think I was on either a "Thank goodness this is over" high, or a "Hey - free Disney tickets and golf rounds" high. Maybe even both. Anyhow, I signed up and here I go again.

Basically, I was a "spotter." I had a headset, golfer info sheet, and a headset thingy whereby I could speak to the dude in the booth. My job was to follow a set of golfers, figure out who hit the ball where and what shot they were on, and communicate this information back to The Golf Channel HQ. It was all fine, as long as I could follow the ball, which wasn't all the time. Thank goodness for the sign-carrying and scoring volunteers with whom I "conferred" when the ball was hit. Thanks to them, I didn't make any really bad errors.

So, now I'm set to go back and repeat the experience. One might think that with my poor ball-following capabilities, I might have been practicing. Yeah, I knew there was something I should have been doing. In other words, I have not improved. We can just hope that I will once again be paired with other nice volunteers. Or maybe I'll just get assigned a different Golf Channel job.

Wonder how these dudes like their coffee?
____________________________________________________________________
Today's blessings: Monday butt camp buddies; taking Maribeth and Mathieu to the airport; donating blood at Red Cross and the blood-taker lady; picking up Lindley at day care and taking her home; Molly's house progress; Steve cooking ham and cheese sandwiches for dinner

No comments: