Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Cost of My Time

Okay, so yesterday I whined about my time being so valuable. As it usually always happens, my next action is to do something in my life that makes my rants seems inconsistent (at best) and incoherent (most probable). Here's why:

This morning I completed the Women's Running 5K. As usual, I was not properly prepared, due in large part to my lack of training. In fact, I really haven't done any kind of race since last March. So why did I do it? Simply this - it was free.

I got an email a week ago saying I could enter to win one of five entries to the 5K, and guess what - I won one. So I picked up my race number, got to the start line, and waddled along until the finish. While my time was certainly less than stellar, I did finish, I wasn't dead last, and I didn't twist my ankle and fall down. I got a race shirt and a finisher medal and felt a little invigorated about getting back into the jogging thing.

What does this have to do with yesterday's post about my valuable time? Yesterday I said that my time was worth a lot, to the point of skipping out on something I had paid good money to experience. Today, I spent my time jogging (okay, maybe ambling is a more apt term) for 3.1 miles - and I did it for nothing. I paid nothing and got some cool free stuff. So does this make my time worth actually nothing?

One would think that going to a musical would be entertaining and a night of enjoyment. One might also think that waddling along for 3.1 miles might be exhausting and an eon of pain. One cost money and one cost nothing. So exactly where is this "my time is valuable" connection?

I guess it all boils down to personal satisfaction. It doesn't have to do with the monetary cost to me. It doesn't have to do with entertainment value. It has to do with what makes me feel good about life. Today it didn't cost anything.

For some, time is money. As for me, time is priceless if it makes my life complete.
_____________________________________________________________________
Today's blessings: Women's Running 5K and meeting ladies from Alabama; breakfast downtown with Lindley, Sam, and Lynnette; another IKEA assembly party with Molly; Baha fish Burrito delivered via Molly; Costco-ing with Sam, Lynnette, Lindley, and Molly; more shopping with Molly; beautiful weather; quiet night at home

No comments: