Friday, September 24, 2010

9 to 5 ... or maybe 3:30

Last night Molly and I went to see "9 to 5, The Musical." Before we left, Molly asked me my expectations. Having loved the original movie, I gave my expectations an 8. I should have aimed lower.

I'm not sure why I didn't care for it. Judging by the hoots and guffaws and belly laughs from the patrons around us, we should have been having a great time. Instead, I had Molly count up the songs in the program for the first act, so that I could keep track of how many were left. When intermission finally came, I had one goal - to leave. Molly reluctantly agreed, and we went home.

Molly said that she would have stayed for the whole thing simply because she would stay for anything if somebody paid money for it. As for me, maybe because of my age, I decided that my time is worth something. And last night, my time was worth more than sitting through a second act of something I was not enjoying.

I'm not sure what the moral of this story is. Maybe it's to spend time doing things you enjoy and less time doing things you don't. Maybe it's that time is short and to use it wisely. Maybe it's that not all entertainment entertains everybody. Maybe it's to know when to fold it up and go home. Maybe it's to say when enough is enough and mean it.

But I am sure of this: there is a lot of stuff in this modern world to take up precious minutes of our time. Ultimately, we're the ones who have to decide what is worth those minutes and what is not.
______________________________________________________________________
Today's blessings: Friday butt camp; Wolfgang Puck lunch with Molly and Tammy; another IKEA furniture assembly party with Molly

No comments: