Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Traffic

It seems like everywhere I went today, the traffic was terrible. Just slow-moving, or crowded, or a combo of both. While driving in traffic doesn't terrify me, it certainly does bother me.

For one thing, I want to know why traffic is moving so slowly. No matter how slow traffic is moving, I can never seem to figure out why unless I see flashing lights. Then it makes sense - we have a side show and every one wants to get a gander. Other than that, unless Granny Methuselah is driving her Buick up ahead, there is usually no discernible reason for the slowness.

For another thing, I usually want to change lanes, and nobody wants to let me. I can't help it if I exited onto the interstate and need to cross over a zillion lanes to get to the Starbucks exit. Hey - stuff happens. Don't I look caffeine-deprived?

Then there's the inevitable wondering about why traffic is so heavy. Was there a news flash for everyone to get outta town? Is Julie Andrews in town? Why is everyone on the road the same time as me? Is there snow predicted and we all must go stock up on bread and milk?

Finally, I get all high and mighty and think about all those carbon emissions. Why aren't we all on city buses? Or riding bicycles? Or walking? Could this be why my butt is so large?

Sure, maybe I think too much while I'm waiting in traffic. But if there are no flashing lights, what else am I to do?
____________________________________________________________________
Today's blessings: another tough boot camp accomplished without passing out; Doik Daycare and strolling 3 miles with Lindley; checking on Rambo; nice lady at DMV who helped me register the Jeep and get a new tag; Molly picking me up and taking me home; reception locale picked

No comments: