Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My Julie Andrews Moment

I met her. I didn't get a picture, since taking pictures was "against the rules." But I got to see her up close and personal - and it was "loverly."

I was there for her to sign a copy of her newest children's book, "The Very Fairy Princess." In order to do this, I bought the book and received a ticket for the signing. I was in Group 8, and according to the ticket, 25 people were in each group.

When I arrived at the bookstore, Group 4 was being called in. I sat to wait my turn and watched other people waiting their turns. There were many young girls - all who seemed to be fans of Julie. I overheard one mom telling how her daughter's music class this year was all about "The Sound of Music." The daughter was in pre-kindergarten.

After awhile, my group was called and I got in line. I wondered what it would be like when it was my turn. Would she sign without even looking up? Would she be in a good mood? Would she be everything I hoped for?

I needn't have wondered. When I entered the room, I felt like a teenage girl, because all I could think was, "OMG, OMG, OMG!!!! It's Julie Andrews!" She was absolutely beautiful and spent a few minutes with everyone who came to her table. She chatted with the little girls and was so kind and gracious. When it came my turn, I handed her my book and we shared a few words, mainly about reading the book to my granddaughter. I wanted to be able to express how much her career has meant to me, but the words simply weren't there. I figured the best thing was to say "thank you," and move on for those behind me.

Today I got to meet someone who has been an idol in my life. Sometimes our idols tarnish when we see them in real life. Today was not that day for me. She only polished up even brighter.

Thank you Julie, for a lifetime of joy, entertainment, and inspiration.
_______________________________________________________________
Things that make today great: picking up Lindley at day care; Julie Andrews; Maribeth's Yellowstone videos; Molly's new french doors and missing wall

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!!